In the vapor generated by the liquid, many potentially dangerous chemicals are searched and quantified, including all those indicated by the strict European legislation (2014/40/EU).
The 22 substances shown here belong to 5 categories:
- Glycols: very simple organic molecules, often heavy and viscous, generally toxic for ingestion;
- Aldehydes: characterized by the functional carbonyl group (CHO), they are often scented substances normally present in nature, the simplest can have a significant toxicity;
- Heavy metals: known to be highly toxic and for their ability to accumulate in the body, they are very common in small quantities;
- VOCs or volatile organic compounds: substances of different nature and composition, sharing the property of being volatile at ambient temperature and accumulating in closed environments;
- Nitrosamines: organic compounds containing a nitrous group, include some of the most carcinogenic substances, typically found in cigarette smoke.
The test results are compared with the standard exposure limits, in general: the smaller the quantity detected, the more harmless is the analyzed steam.
TRUSTiCERT endorses only the products that do not exceed the exposure limits set by the standardization bodies.